Get “hg view” to work in Mac OS X

by gldnspud on February 6, 2008

Warning: mkdir(): Permission denied in /home/ostpvt/webapps/goldenspud_rotr/wp-content/plugins/rest.php on line 82

Warning: fopen(/home2/ostpvt/rest-cache/8ee4a8bdc870120abc0226ce1ab4c39b.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/ostpvt/webapps/goldenspud_rotr/wp-content/plugins/rest.php on line 194

{ 13 comments }

igorekk February 7, 2008 at 1:29 am

When i installed Mercurial to my MacBook with Leo, i reviece error:
2.5.1 (r251:54863, Oct 5 2007, 21:08:09)
[GCC 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5465)]
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
line 441, in getdefaultlocale
return _parse_localename(localename)
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/locale.py”, line 373, in _parse_localename
raise ValueError, ‘unknown locale: %s’ % localename
ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8

Solution:
Add 2 lines to ~/.profile
export LC_ALL=en_EN.UTF-8
export LANG=en_EN.UTF-8

gldnspud February 7, 2008 at 8:43 am

@igorekk:

Thanks for the comment and solution! Thankfully, it worked out of the box for me but I’m sure others will appreciate your help.

When I inspect LANG I get “en_US.UTF-8″ but LC_ALL is unset on my system. I can’t find right off hand where it’s being set though :) Not in any of my dot files and not in anything at the top level of /etc.

Indy March 8, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for this post. Worked nicely for me.

Just getting my head around Mercurial. I’ve been using Subversion for a while so it is a bit of a mindshift. Lack of a GUI is a serious issue for me.

Ray March 16, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Thanks, it’s working great!

Rich April 26, 2008 at 6:10 am

Thanks for that walkthrough, was really useful!

emilian May 13, 2008 at 11:10 pm

@igorekk : thanks for the fix, I could have wasted quite some time figuring that out !

troy June 17, 2008 at 1:09 am

I’m receiving a similar error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/hg”, line 18, in
mercurial.util.set_binary(fp)
File “/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/mercurial/demandimport.py”, line 74, in __getattribute__
self._load()
File “/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/mercurial/demandimport.py”, line 46, in _load
mod = _origimport(head, globals, locals)
File “/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/mercurial/util.py”, line 33, in
_encoding = locale.getlocale()[1]
File “/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/locale.py”, line 460, in getlocale
return _parse_localename(localename)
raise ValueError, ‘unknown locale: %s’ % localename
ValueError: unknown locale: UTF-8

I’ve tried adding the following 2 lines to ~/.profile
export LC_ALL=en_EN.UTF-8
export LANG=en_EN.UTF-8

but this hasn’t helped. Can anyone offer any tips or suggestions?

troy June 17, 2008 at 9:08 am
Sai July 2, 2008 at 8:36 pm

Got it working. Thanks to this entry.

Gary July 29, 2008 at 8:03 am

The walk through looks great, but it doesn’t work for me. I am running Mac OS X v 10.5.4.

I cannot find the directory hg-upstream in my directory hierarchy. Nor can I find any file named “hgk”.

There is a file, hgk.py (as well as hgk.pyc and hgk.pyo) in /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/hgext/. When I set the path to this directory, I get a permissions denied error on /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/hgext/hgk.py.

I would like to get hgk to work with Netbeans, but I have been testing the configuration using commands under bash.

Any suggestions?

Humberto DiĆ³genes December 19, 2008 at 12:34 pm

I did the same thing to “convert-repo” and `hg convert` started working. Thanks!

Arthur Lutz December 31, 2008 at 6:11 am

You can also try out hgview as an nice alternative to “hg view”, quicker, nicer UI, a few extra functionnalities : http://www.logilab.org/project/hgview

Xiao May 14, 2010 at 8:50 am

Thanks for the tip. It works nicely.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: